Set up a bank account before you leave :
CommBank allows you to open an account up to three months before you arrive. You can open an Everyday Account with Student Options online in around 5 minutes and get your bank details straight away.
This means you can:
- Transfer money into your new account immediately (a fee may apply)
- Check your balance online
- No monthly account fees while you study
Although you can transfer money into your account before you arrive, until you have visited a branch and had your ID checked, you will not be able to withdraw money from the account. Keep this in mind for organizing things such as the bond for your new accommodation, or for paying your University fees.
What to do when you arrive :
Visit a CommBank branch as soon as possible after you arrive to order your debit card, which you can use in store and online. Your debit card will be sent to the Australian address that you give us.
What should you bring to your local branch?
- Your passport
- Your student ID or proof of enrolment (including start and end dates for your course)
- Your Tax Identification Number (TIN) for each country of foreign tax residency
- A copy of your welcome letter
While you wait for your card to be delivered to your new address, you’ll be able to get cash out immediately using Cardless Cash.